Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Soundless March


The lone highway that passes via Sherubtse is found occupied after the sun set. The driver constantly needs to beep out loud to clear a space, to pass by. People travelling by buses keeps themselves awake to enjoy the outlook. Well, it is time for the Sherubtseans to set out for walk. The monsoon drizzle makes no difference for those who love to.  A few set out with their friends and for some it is fine time to be with their loved ones.

Students don’t mind sparing an hour or two daily, strolling around. The places they tour mostly includes the area above upper girls hostel, which is known as Upper Market, and the another half near the main entrance of the college, the Lower Market. A very few walk far as Rongthong and Khangma.  Even so with the set of assignments, students prefer going for walk. “It is all about time management. Moreover we are used to with last minute work”, said Tshewang Zangmo of English Media, 5th semester.

During fall semester when the new learners arrive, the number of students going for walk seems more frequent. This year, with the extreme raise in the intake of students, the road seems busier. The elders take the new friends for a walk. It is a kind of practice that is being passed on for years.  “Walk tendency is very prevalent during odd semester, where by the seniors take their new friends for a walk as a sense of welcome”, claims Phurba Sonam Waiba taking Life Science, 5th semester.

Well, for the new ones it is a time to hang out and make new friends, and discover the new atmosphere. A few students, especially those who are away from home for the first time, are found to have suffered home sick. The friends take them out for a walk to keep involved. Moreover, it is the time where they get to meet their friends from high school and those in other courses. “I go for walk to meet my old friends and share past memories as it gives time to energize myself up”, said Tendrel Zangmo of 1st semester, Life Science.

However, for others, it is the only time they get to have fun with their mates. Classes are on till evening, late as six. It is not so convenient to meet friends in between, as everyone remains occupied with their share of task. Hence, planning for a walk is taken as an outing to get together.  “I go for walk, especially in the evening to have myself stressed free after an exhausting day. It is the only time I get to be with my friends”, said Tandin Pem of Computer Science, 1st semester.

There are stereotypic judges that walk means going with girlfriends or boyfriends, therefore some people even hesitate to do so. So often, students are being misunderstood, when they are found leaving for a walk. Friends tease them for having dated. According to Tenzin Chophel of Life Science, 3rd semester, walk necessarily does not mean going with girlfriend. “Well I go for walk with my friends to relax and I enjoy it” he added.

Assignment for Print Media 2
Leki Choden, Media Dzonghka
Fall Semester, 2014

P.S: This is the feature news regarding the trend of evening walk in Sherubtse. So rarely do we get an issue to be reported as a current affair, in the locality little as Kanglung. Therefore, I opted to write on something that is familiar already. Thank you for taking time to visit my post. Please do visit again. Wonderful week ahead!

16 comments:

  1. Nice post, Leki. Well written. But for some reason, I didn't really like reading it. :P Keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for true word of yours, Langa. I will try to come up with better post. Thank you for visiting. Good Day!

      Delete
  2. Well write up. For me an walk with ma loved one have always gave me the sense of great bond I have with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Indeed :) Thank you for visiting. Please do visit again. Good Day!

      Delete
  3. I construe it 'walk for health'. It's always good to renew after strenuous work of a day by taking a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true :) Thank you for dropping in Sangay sir. Please do visit again. Good Day!

      Delete
  4. nice piece of writing...keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monu :) Please do visit again. Good Day!

      Delete
  5. I've always loved the evening strolls in Sherubtse, especially towards the upper market and more so up to Khangma. Be it rain or shine, a stroll was what we always used to take and morning jogs in the summer mornings. Fond memories. :)

    I love how simply you wrote on this. Would love to see more updates Lekey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am glad that you liked it mam. Yeah, it's always fun to stroll out, especially after we are being baked up in the classes :p. Above all Kanglung is far tranquil and cleaner than Thimphu. Thank you for taking time to visit my post. Please do visit again. Good Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post Lekey. Enjoyed reading. BTW when I came across something 'lower market' and 'upper market' of Sherabtse, I was curious to know the reasons behind them. Perhaps that would make one good post from you...:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherab sir. Yeah, indeed the names are allotted as 'upper' and 'lower' although the place is no big. Truly, I would love to cover on it as well. Am glad that you take me worth to write something upon. Thank you for dropping in your idea. Please do visit again. Wonderful week ahead :)

      Delete
  8. Dear Leki,
    I am glad to go through your wonderful post. I was taken back to my college days by your post. You know, we used to go for evening walk and we friends used to munch numerous chocolate, that’s how I overcome toothache now :P
    Keep blogging Leki.
    I will keep visiting.
    Plesant evening ahead :)
    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words, dear mam. I am glad you liked it. Haha I do munch countless chocolate :p And it is fun to
      to be with friends after a tiring day. Thank you for dropping in. Please do visit again. Have a wonderful weekend. Take Care :)

      Delete
  9. Last time i also saw you waking ,but you were not alone. ..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny :D My shadow with me always!Lol Thank you for dropping in. Please do visit again. Take Care!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...